Log Builder Sealant
- Smooth latex caulk won't crack, peel or pull away
- Introduced in 1988 – proven formula
- Excellent elasticity, memory and adhesion
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Water-based – easy to apply and clean up
- Freeze-thaw stable
Fundamental Caulking Application Guidelines
- Proper substrate preparation and application are imperative for product longevity. Download and read the entire Information Sheet before applying any product.
- Make certain there is compatibility between your stain and Log Builder. We recommend Sashco's Capture Log Stain/Cascade, Transformation Siding & Trim or Transformation Log & Timber for exterior applications and Symphony Interior Clear Coat for beautiful long-term protection. Best results are obtained when Log Builder is applied to clean, stained wood. Call Sashco for guidance if in doubt.
- Check the weather forecast. Finishing products are best applied in moderate weather conditions, i.e., out of direct sunlight, in dry conditions and warm.
- Check the log surface temperature. The ideal application range is between 50°F - 90°F.
- It is always best to use a bond breaker (usually backer rod) before caulking. Sashco always advises the use of backer rod, especially if the home is new and/or the logs are subject to significant movement. If a bond breaker is not used, then expect more caulking repairs.
- Tool Log Builder to help ensure good contact with the log surfaces, especially to the upper log; this will greatly aid adhesion.
- Ideal sealant depth is 1/2 of the joint width, but no less than 1/4".
- Assemble tools and equipment:
- Backer rod
- Caulking guns
- Trowels, spatulas, or foam brushes for tooling
- Clean water and rags
- Plastic sheets to cover the caulking if wet weather moves in
- Staple gun and staples
- If you have any questions about application, please call us before proceeding at 1-800-767-5656.
|Stacking Application||Swedish Cope Logs|
|Apply bead(s) according to the log home manufacturer's instructions. Stack the next log and repeat. Don't allow caulk to skin over prior to stacking.||1 - Gun Log Builder into clean stained joints.||2 - Tool to ensure a tight seal to the top and bottom of the caulk line leaving at least 1/4" depth of caulk in the center of the joint.*|
Milled Tongue & Groove Logs with a Caulk Well
|1 - Install backer rod into the caulk well of clean, stained logs.||2 - Gun Log Builder over the backer rod.||3 - Tool to ensure a tight seal to the top and bottom of the caulk line.|
|1 - Install backer rod into a clean, stained check to the appropriate depth. (See Fundamental Application Guidelines.)||2 - Gun Log Builder over the backer rod.||3 - Tool Log Builder.|
|* NOTE: use a bond breaker (i.e., backer rod) when significant log movement could occur. When movement is known to be minimal (as with many older homes) using backer rod is still best, but usually less critical.|
(29 oz. unavailable)
These color chips are intended to show approximate color only. Slight color variations can occur between the color chip and actual products.
Tan, Woodtone, and Dark Brown.
10.5 oz. plastic cartridges, 29 oz. fiber cartridges, and 5-gallon straight-sided pails. (Not all colors are available in all sizes.)
Surface temp of 40°F (4°C) - 90°F (32°C)
-30°F (-34°C) - 250°F (121°C)
Paintable with latex coatings after a minimum of 24 hours curing (longer on wider joints) and after 5 days with most oil-based coatings. Contact Sashco for more specific guidance.
Log Builder will adhere to woods treated with most preservatives including borates**, pentachlorophenol, and copper compounds. Log Builder is also compatible with insulating glass sealants and most building materials, including foam insulation and vinyl windows.
Passes ASTM C-834, the performance requirements of TT-S-00230B and ASTM C-920. Meets FHA requirements.
<1.5% by weight, max.
3 weeks (1/2" thickness, 70°F, 50% relative humidity)
Extrusion Rate (ASTM C-603)
1100 g/min (1/8" orifice at 40 psi)
Freeze-Thaw (ASTM C-731)
Passes 5 cycles (0°F - 70°F)
Hardness, Shore A (ASTM C-661)
38 (21-day cure)
Elongation at Break
Solids (ASTM C-1250)
72% by weight; 70% by volume
Tack-Free Time (ASTM C-679)
Less than 1 hour
No washout (4 hours, 40°F, 50% relative humidity) In severe conditions - under 40°F (4°C) and/or 70%+ humidity – full rain resistance may take longer. Cover exterior walls with plastic if rainfall is expected within 24 hours after installation. Not recommended for continuous submersion or areas exposed to foot or vehicular traffic.
Washout - None
Cracking - None
Discoloration - Passes ASTM C834-76
Sashco will test any stain to determine compatibility with Log Builder. Just call and send us a sample of the stain you want tested. Test results available in aminimum of 6 weeks.
The data reported here are believed to be reliable. No warranty is made or implied concerning the accuracy or the results obtained from their use.
** Some borate wood preservatives contain glycols or other agents that could interfere with adhesion. Sashco's PeneTreat contains no glycols.
- Log Builder FAQs www.sashco.com/log/faqs.aspx?query=log builder
- Product Estimator
- Store Locator www.sashco.com/log/buy.aspx
Download Product Info (PDF)
Adobe Reader Required
Product information is provided in Adobe PDF files. You will need the [free] Adobe Reader to view and print these documents.
Do you have questions about our products? Contact Customer Service.