Log Jam Chinking
- Recognized industry standard for synthetic chinking
- Superior elasticity – won't tear, preventing weather and insect infiltration
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Introduced in 1985 – proven formula
- Water-based – easy to apply and clean up
- Freeze-thaw stable
Fundamental Caulking Application Guidelines
- Proper substrate preparation and application are imperative for product longevity. Download and read the entire Information Sheet before applying any product.
- Best results are obtained when Log Jam is applied to clean, dry, stained wood. Make certain there is compatibility between your stain and Log Jam. Call Sashco for guidance if in doubt.
- Check the weather forecast. Finishing products are best applied in moderate weather conditions, i.e., out of direct sunlight, dry conditions and warm.
- Check the log surface temperature. The ideal application range is between 50-90°F.
- Install a bond breaker before Log Jam is applied. Backer rod, Grip Strip, and bond-breaking tape perform this function well. If Log Jam is applied over white styrene bead-board, it is best to cover the bead-board with polyester tape (to prevent adhesion to the beadboard). We do not recommend the use of blue or pink extruded polystyrene board.
- Gun the chinking over the backing material. Ideal sealant depth is 1/2 of the joint width, but no less than 1/4", nor more than 1/2".
- Tool Log Jam to ensure good contact with the log surfaces, especially to the upper log; this will greatly aid adhesion.
- All chinking products may occasionally "blister". To avoid blistering:
- Do not apply in direct sunlight.
- Protect from direct sunlight for 1-2 days after application with white plastic sheeting tacked over the fresh chinking.
- For detailed information, read Sashco's Savvy Bulletin, "Preventing Blisters".
|1 - Install Grip Strip into caulk well of clean, stained logs.||2 - Or, install backer rod into caulk well of clean, stained logs.||3 - Gun Log Jam over the backer rod.|
|4 - Lightly mist the Log Jam as needed.||5 - Tool to ensure a tight seal to the top and bottom of the chink line.|
|Appalachian Style Logs|
|1 - Start with logs that are stained with a coating compatible to Log Jam and have properly installed backer material.||2 - Tape the entire joint using polyester tape.||3 - Gun Log Jam over the backer material.|
|4 - Lightly mist the trowel as needed.||5 - Tool to ensure a tight seal to the top and bottom of the chink line.|
|1 - Install backer rod into corners of clean, stained logs.||2 - Gun Log Jam over the backer rod.||3 - Lightly mist the Log Jam as needed.|
|4 - Tool to ensure a tight seal.|
|* NOTE: use a bond breaker (i.e., backer rod) when significant log movement could occur. When movement is known to be minimal (as with many older homes) using backer rod is still best, but usually less critical.|
These color chips are intended to show approximate color only. Slight color variations can occur between the color chip and actual products.
Mortar White, White, Buff, Tan, Gray, Woodtone Cedar
5-gallon straight-sided white pails and 29 oz. fiber cartridges
Log Jam forms a water-resistant skin in 1-4 hours after application. This resistance depends on bead size, humidity and temperature. If applied in cool or humid weather and rain is imminent, covering the chinking with a plastic sheet may be necessary.
-30°F to 250°F
Paintable with oil or latex stains after 1 week cure time. If giving chinking a facelift with Brush Over, make sure chinking is cured.
Compatible with most sealers and preservatives, including linseed oil, borates, pentachlorophenol and copper compounds. NOTE: Some coatings contain wax or other chemicals, making adhesion difficult. Call Sashco for more information.
18 months from date of packaging.
ASTM C834-00 Latex Sealing Compounds, ASTM G-53 QUV
Accelerated Weathering: 4,000 hrs
ASTM D-638 Max 230%, Tensile Strength 36psi, after 28 days room temperature cure
ASTM C-920 (12.5)
0.28 lbs/gal; 34 g/liter; less than 4% by weight
This product contains a chemical(s) which is reported by the State of California to cause birth defects or reproductive harm.
Adhesion ¹ ² (180° Peel)
Call Sashco for stain compatibility with Log Jam
3 weeks (1/2" thickness. 70°F, 50% relative humidity)
Approximately 280,000 cps at 10 rpm, spindle #14
Passes at least 5 cycles (0°F to 70°F)
Hardness (Shore A)
1/16" (Max) in test joint (3-1/2"H x 3/4"D) at 70°F
Less than 30 minutes (70°F, 50% relative humidity)
No washout (4 hours; 40°F, 50% relative humidity)
Washout - None
Cracking - None
Discoloration - Passes ASTM C834-00
Be cautious of areas where snow builds up around the structure and remains for extended periods of time. Snow removal is recommended for these areas to ensure the ultimate adhesion of Log Jam.
¹ Ultimate adhesive strength attained in 3-6 weeks depending on bead
size, temperature and humidity.
² Dry adhesion is tested after 28 days room temperature cure. The average of several tests is reported.
- Log Jam FAQs www.sashco.com/log/faqs.aspx?query=log jam
- Product Estimator
- Store Locator www.sashco.com/log/buy.aspx
Download Product Info (PDF)
Adobe Reader Required
Product information is provided in Adobe PDF files. You will need the [free] Adobe Reader to view and print these documents.
Do you have questions about our products? Contact Customer Service.